HMP Frankland prisoner dies in hospital after seven-hour delay in calling for ambulance

Vile predator Duwayne Henry, who dubbed himself 'The Ripper', was jailed after targeting sex workers in a series of attacks

Duwayne Henry was serving a life sentence at HMP Frankland

A serial rapist who called himself ‘The Ripper’ has died in hospital while serving a life sentence at HMP Frankland.

Duwayne Henry was jailed in March 2015 after subjecting three sex workers to horrifying attacks, believing they would be less likely to report the assaults to police.

The vile predator was caught after one of his victims escaped from his torture chamber filled with weapons including knives, a belt and a circular saw.

During his trial, the court heard how she told police officers among the threats he made, Henry said: “I’m invisible, I’m the Ripper”.

A new report has revealed Henry was visited by a nurse in his cell at the Category A prisonon December 10, 2019, after he had been complaining of abdominal pain and being sick.

The nurse found the 38-year-old had high levels of glucose and ketones in his urine, which can be a sign of diabetic ketoacidosis – a potentially life-threatening condition.

He was assessed by an advanced nurse practitioner at 2.30pm before they consulted a doctor who advised the prisoner should be transferred to hospital urgently.

That information was not passed on to the nurse in charge, who was in a meeting at the time, with the advanced nurse practitioner recording in Henry’s notes “nursing staff to monitor in health care until transport arranged”.

A ‘key party meeting’ was held to discuss transporting Henry to hospital. It was not recommended to defer treatment with a risk of him developing sepsis without hospital treatment.

However, due to confusion regarding the actions to be taken, an ambulance was not called for almost seven hours with him not leaving the Brassidejail until around 10.20pm.

A Prisons and Probation Ombudsman (PPO) investigation found: “We are concerned that the duty governor did not understand that Mr Henry needed to be taken to hospital as a matter of urgency and believed that it was acceptable to wait until the following morning.

“He was also under the misapprehension that the blood tests (which had not in fact been taken) were key to determining how serious Mr Henry’s condition was.

“We cannot say whether these misunderstandings arose because the advanced nurse practitioner failed to explain the clinical issues clearly at the meeting, or because the duty governor was overly focussed on security issues.

“It is a cause for serious concern that the decision reached at the key party meeting was not recorded anywhere.

“As a result, the duty governor and the advanced nurse practitioner apparently left the meeting with a very different understanding of what had been agreed about the need for and the timing of Mr Henry’s transfer to hospital.”

A total of six recommendations were made, including ensuring relevant clinical communications between healthcare staff are recorded in the prisoner’s medical record. The full list of can be read here.

Henry, from Hackney, East London, was diagnosed with diabetes and was expected to stay in a ward for at least three days.

But the following day his condition deteriorated, suffering a cardiac arrest and had to be resuscitated by doctors before being placed in an induced coma.

While in hospital, nurses removed Henry’s socks and discovered two sim cards were hidden in them.

In the early hours of December 12, Henry had a heart attack and he was later pronounced dead at 1.25pm. The post-mortem found he died of diabetic ketoacidosis.

This article first appeared on Chronicle Live website.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply