Paedophile who abducted child died after complaining of headaches

He was four years into a 10-year sentence for snatching and abusing the youngster

He was four years into a 10-year sentence for snatching and abusing the youngster

A paedophile who kidnapped and sexually abused a young girl 20 years ago near Burton died of natural causes in jail, an inquest has ruled.

Pervert Arnold Baxter died in October four years into a 10-year prison sentence and was found in his prison cell complaining of headaches, vomiting, vertigo and was unsteady on his feet.

The 76-year-old was taken to Royal Stoke University Hospital on October 21, last year, where doctors quickly diagnosed that he had had a stroke. However, his condition deteriorated and he died nine days later on October 30.

During this time he had tested negative for covid but was displaying symptoms at the time of his death, the inquest heard.

Yesterday, Thursday, April 22, an inquest was held into his death by Andrew Haigh, of South Staffordshire Coroner’s Office, which routinely carries out investigations following the death of prisoners.

It heard that Baxter had been a prisoner at HMP Stafford since 2018 and had become unwell in his cell on October 21, last year.

He had previously been diagnosed with the lung disease [pulmonary fibrosis] and an irregular heart rate [atrial fibrillation] and had suffered with esophageal cancer 10 years prior.

Following his death nine days later an independent clinical review was carried out by the Prison and Probation Ombudsman (PPO) which found that there were delays in ensuring some prisoners were taking their medication on time.

Baxter was one patient who was judged as “non-compliant” and sometimes would not take medication prescribed to him, the hearing was told.

The review, which was read out at the inquest, said these delays were down to the difficulties surrounding covid-19 at the time.

Tracie Ellis, head of healthcare at HMP Stafford, told the hearing that prisoners were given a box of their medication weekly and must return the empty box each week to get a new prescription.

She continued: “There are regular spot checks each month [to make sure the medication is being taken], but I recognise that there was some delay due to covid-19 in terms of the frequency of the checks.

“This prisoner was a known non-compliant with medication and our team had a number of conversations with him about this.

“After his death a number of medications were found in his cell.”

Coroner Mr Haigh gave a cause of death as pneumonia, pulmonary fibrosis and a stroke and recorded a verdict of natural causes.

He said: “There was a review carried out but these are minor concerns and are not relevant to his death.

“He received satisfactory care during his time in prison.

“He had shown covid symptoms.”

Vile Baxter had been sentenced in 2017 after DNA evidence linked him to the kidnap and indecent assault of a six-year-old girl in Barton under Needwood back in 2001.

He had pulled, grabbed the terrified younger and bundled her in his car. He then drove to a quiet spot where he sexually abused her.

However, DNA evidence meant he was caught 15 years later after he was arrested for drink driving.

Baxter was charged and went on to plead guilty to the sex attack at Stafford Crown Court in 2017. He was sentenced to nine years in prison.

However, in 2018, he appeared at Warwick Crown Court where the pervert pleaded guilty to three charges of downloading 6,582 disgusting indecent images of children. These offences were committed before 2017.

This article first appeared in Staffordshire Live website.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply